Saturday, November 15, 2008

Baby's first 5K

OK, technically this was my baby's second 5K, but we didn't know I was pregnant at the Pumpkin Run in October. It was so cold out there this morning at the Red River front, but John was nice enough to take me out there to support me. He stayed out there the whole time, with wild child Lexi straining to be a part of the race, in nothing but a pullover and jeans. I don't know how he did it. I run these 5Ks with work buddies, usually. Jessica is the best because she helps me to push myself, without running out of steam too fast. So, this morning Jessica and I started off, and, I'm going to be honest, we were two of the last people. This was a 5K and half marathon, and the people that were there were definitely runners. Throughout the race, there was a father and daughter running ahead of us. Well, I say they were running. The little girl, I'd say she was about 12 was getting tired, and kept walking. The whole time her dad was trying to get her to start jogging again. He'd use us as motivation. I'm not exactly sure why he picked us because there were plenty of people that passed them, but they chose us. So, they'd be walking, look back, and see that we were getting close to them and start running again. Keep in mind, the whole time, Jessica and I were just trucking away. So, with about a quarter mile to go, we were really going to pass them. They were walking side by side, and we got in single-file so that we could pass them. AS SOON AS we got even with them, the dad looked at the little girl and they started running again. OK, that ticked the pregnant lady off. After that I was mad. First, they should have gotten out of our way instead of making us squeeze by. Second, it's just tacky to wait for us to get even with them to start running again. So, we keep jogging, I'm saying mean things under my breath, such as, "Congratulations to everyone who beats the pregnant lady." I was so mad. So, as we were rounding the last curve (the father and daughter were walking again!), I looked at Jessica, and said, "Let's kick it up a notch." After that, I just started sprinting. I wish you could have seen the look on that little girl's face as a I flew by her. As soon as she saw me run by her, her eyes got big and she started to jog again. Poor Jessica, I left her behind me. After we crossed the finish line, she commented "The hormones were flowing today." Maybe so, but here's a word to the wise, don't piss off the pregnant lady. As I was telling this story to Mom, Dad, and Austin, Austin started laughing, and saying he wished he still worked at the shirt-printing place where he used to work, just so he could have put that phrase on my shirt from the race.

On a happier note, I drove up yesterday, and noticed another package outside my door. I didn't wait for John this time because I know he would have ripped into it before I got to see the return address. It turned out to be a gift from my oldest friend, Amy and her family. It was so sweet! There were some onesies in there (in neutral colors) with paw prints, one that says "I love Mommy", and one that says "I love Daddy." There was also a rattle and some receiving blankets in there. It's just so sweet. I know I keep saying this, but it's so hard to believe all these little things are for a baby that is growing inside of me right now. I just can't wait for the first ultrasound, maybe things will start to feel "real" then. So far, I'm still feeling pretty good, a few minor aches and pains. The only real bother right now is how sleepy I get at night...early at night. It's also really bad after lunch until about 3 pm. I wish I could just lay down and take a nap, but I don't think they'd look too favorably on that at work. According to what I've been reading, the hormones should be getting better soon (which John says I haven't actually been that bad - such a nice guy), but that I'll be getting even more tired, yuck! Only about 4.5 weeks until my energy is supposed to return. Thank goodness, but that seems so far away.

OK, I need to get to cleaning, since there's no telling how little I can get done before I get exhausted again.

2 comments:

The Beasley's said...

You left that chick in the dust just like you left me in the dust that day :-) I'm so glad you got our gift and liked it. I thought it all looked so sweet!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!!! This cracks me up! The hormones will not be as bad soon.. but it is fun for those of us off to the side that are watching. Can't wait to see you in two days!!!!!