Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scaring myself

Well, I did a wonderful job of terrifying myself today. I was looking at some of the boards on thebump.com, which is the site that's linked to thenest.com. One of the boards mentioned something about "blighted ovum". Not knowing what this was, I did the stupid thing of googling it. It turns out that it's a pregnancy where just the gestational sac is present. So, you get the positive pregnancy test, you get the symptoms of pregnancy, but eventually your body realizes there's no baby there. Once that happens, the hCG levels start to drop, and within a few weeks you will miscarriage. I just wish that we would have gotten an ultrasound at the first visit, and actually saw/heard the heartbeat. So, now I'm concerned that that's me....that I've got a blighted ovum. I know it's me just worrying without reason to, and guess what folks, should I not have a blighted ovum, then this worry will most probably continue throughout the whole pregnancy. My next appointment is December 4th, so two weeks from tomorrow. I think I'm going to hold out until then...unless I lose sleep over it, then I'll have to call and try to get in there earlier. On the plus side, I don't really feel like my symptoms are decreasing. I've been moodier than ever this week, and I'm still super-tired and sensitive to smells. Plus, I've got all sorts of aches and pains. So, keep praying for me, the olive (which is what it is roughly the size of this week), and John's sanity. :-)

3 comments:

The Beasley's said...

As I started reading this, I was thinking "Why does the word blighted ovum sound so familiar to me?" Once you started describing what it was, then I realized, "Ah yes, I just discussed that EXACT same thing with a friend of mine today!" Bizarre! A word you never hear of (well, I hadn't anyway) and now I heard it twice in one day. And for the record...that is NOT you. That is such the hard thing about reading so much about pregnancy stuff because you will end up scaring yourself to death. Seriously. Been there, and you know I totally did that! I'll be praying for you. And John. And Olive. And Lexi :-) Lay off the reading materials for a bit...I bet it will do a lot for your anxiety levels!

Anonymous said...

OK.. woman.. Stop reading things. The stats of that occuring are rare and it is NOT you. So pack your stuff and hurry up and get here. We will see people tomorrow who should be worried for their sanity... but will be great fun for us :)
And go look at pictures of newborn babies, and remind yourself that you will have one of those very soon! (I promise.. great thearapy and it is free!)

jandlmom said...

every mom-to-be scares herself to death reading that stuff...i was sure i had miscarried Logan twice, and evenmade appointments with my OBGYN. She informed me that i had a very normal, overly protective mind set and to lay off the reading material! so i'll just pass that over to you...go do something fun and give yourself a break...love you!