By John:
So, the new fad nowadays is "going green" . Reduce, Reuse, Recyle. I must admit, there are a few things that I have thought about doing, such as getting an electric composter. However, for the most part, I don't really make an effort to be green. I don't turn up my thermostat or monitor my water consumption. However, I just found a project I can get behind.
Since I work in the IT field, here is something I am going to start trying to do: http://www.hkenyaproject.org/index.html
Basically, you ship them old computers or computer parts (broken or working). They fix them and ship them to schools in Kenya who don’t have PC’s. They require the schools that receive the PC’s to plant trees in exchange. So, it’s a 2fer because the PC’s aren’t going into land fills, and trees are getting planted. So, if you have any old computer "junk" that you were just going to throw away, you might want to contact them and see if they will take it. They ensure that all data on the hard drives are scrubbed clean. If you are really worried about data though, just google how to remove a hard drive from a computer, and then when you get it out, destroy the hard drive in any fashion you would like, and ship the rest of the computer to them. I think it is a great idea.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment