Friday, January 30, 2009

Random Nerdness

Ok, so if you don't know, I have been a hardcore comic book collector since I was in the 3rd grade. That's about 18 years or so. Seriously, name any given Marvell or DC story line from the 80's-90's and I probably read it. Earlier than that, I probably didn't read the actual comics, but I read enough that I could tell you all about it. Growing up, my 3 favorite comic book heros were Wolverine, Punisher, and Spiderman. I loved Wolverine for his pure beastial aspects. A man who lived on his animal insticts, with no reserve. Kill at will. A pure hunter. Awesomeness. The Punisher for similar reasons. A hunter. A killer. If you were a bad person, you were a dead person. Spiderman, well, he was a different story. Witty, nerdy, a nerd's hero. The type of hero a normal person would be if they found themselves with super powers. But I digress. The main purpose of this blog is to give due to a comic book character that I always found lame as I was growing up, but have found great enjoyment in as an adult. That character is the Flash from DC comics. His powers...super speed. Ok, sounds cool, but at the same time kinda, eh... So he, can run fast...cool I guess. What I've learned to love about this character is how far the writers/creators have taken the idea of super speed. For instance, some of the cool things the Flash can do....
He can control his speed at the molecular level...meaning he can move his body/molecules so fast, he can phase through solid objects. In one comic, when he learned he could do this, he was imprisoned in a cage, and moved his body (vibrated his body) so fast, he went through the metal bars. Awesome? I think so.
His speed is actually part of something called the "Speed Force" There have been four different Flashes (father, son, brother, and nephew) all gifted with the "speed force" This is the only power in all comic books that is hereditary.
Flash can move so fast, that he can actually run/move outside of our dimension. If our dimension is the third dimension, the Flash can move so fast that he actually moves into another dimension that is outside the confines of time/space. It's not the fourth dimension or anything like that. It's kinda in between dimensions. The only name ever given to it is "the speed dimension". There is only three accounts of the Flash going into the speed dimension. The second Flash was able to go there on his own by accident. The other two times took two or more Flashes combining their speed to accomplish this goal.
I could go on and on about the other cool aspects of this character, but I'll end for now. I just wrote this because whenever I want to tell Michelle a story about comic books, she won't let me. So I figured I'd share it with you.

No comments: