Monday, January 5, 2009

Welcome to 2009!

Happy New Year everybody! Things have been moving and grooving in our household, and I just thought I’d post another blog to help everybody get up to date.

Sometimes, I just love where I work. Tuesday, the office closed at noon. So, that was two weeks in a row that we work a day and half work-weeks. What a sweet deal! I had to go grocery shopping before cooking New Years dinner, and I was already wiped out. So, it was so nice to be able to get off work early to get that done because I CRASHED when I got home. I just could not keep my eyes open. I thought I was supposed to be getting energy back at the end of the first trimester.

I had a doctor’s appointment New Years’ Eve morning. Of course, they weighed me at the start, and my weight was six pounds less than the last time, putting me at a pound less than before I was pregnant. I blame my boots though. I was wearing Doc Martin boots at my last appointment, and that tacked on four pounds more than the last time. So, when I was weighed this time, in tennis shoes, it was six pounds less. I guess that food aversion was taking a greater toll on me than I realized. I’m sure I’ll make up the weight soon enough though. It was just a quick appointment, but it was my first time doing the Doppler. For those who haven’t experienced it, it is so surreal. It took a little bit of time for the doctor to find the heartbeat, but just as soon as he found it, the little bugger swam away. I think this baby is going to be quite the little active tyke. First, at the ultrasound, we saw so much leg and arm movement. Then, at the appointment, the squirt was almost all the way up to my bellybutton. The doctor was a little shocked at that, saying that was unusual that the baby would be up that high. My next appointment is at the end of January. John won’t be going on this appointment either, but I asked my mom if she’d like to, and she jumped at the chance. It’ll just be another Doppler appointment, but I thought Mom would like the chance to get to hear the heartbeat. Then, two weeks later we’ll get an ultrasound to tell us the sex. John and I are both so excited about that one!

Our friends from Bryan, Texas, Jessie, Amy, and their son McKade arrived in town that evening (along with their two pups). We ordered pizza for dinner before going to a New Years’ party just up the road from my parents’ house. I was shocked that I was able to make it to midnight, but I figured if the 5 year-old could, so could I. Amy is about 2.5 weeks ahead of me in her pregnancy, and I am so jealous. She’s already feeling kicks and she’s definitely showing. Plus, she gets to find out the sex in less than a week…lucky!

I was happy to be hosting New Years dinner at my house. This is the first time we’ve ever hosted any holiday event at our residence, much less our own house. Mom made the ham, thank goodness. Amy and I made the black-eyed peas (for luck), cabbage (for money), and yummy Mexican cornbread (because it’s soooo good). Then, we had Mom’s Ooey Gooey Butter Cake for dessert. After lunch, the guys watched football, while the rest of us played a few games, one of my favorite holiday activities.

Friday, John had to work, and Amy had arranged for Jessie to watch McKade all day while we had a girls’ day. That was probably the best part of their visit. We started off shopping at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, so I could spend some gift cards. Then, we headed down to the Boardwalk, where we had lunch at Saltgrass. I’m having less and less food aversions, so I actually got a salad with chicken on it…a big step for me. Afterwards, we headed to the theatre to watch Marley & Me. We had both recently finished the book, and we knew what we were in for with the movie. I don’t want to spoil the book/movie for anybody, but it’s definitely emotional. Great choice for two pregnant ladies. J

By the time the Casas family left, we were all wiped (including them). Poor Lexi, though. Usually, she has to have either John or I in her sites at all time. The past couple of days, though, Lexi could not get enough rest. Last night, John was in the office, and I was watching TV in the living room, when I realized I hadn’t seen Lexi for a while. When I finally found her, she was curled up on the bed. She picked her head up when I walked in though, so that’s why she’s looking at me for the picture.



Also, I’ve been photographing myself throughout the pregnancy, every month on the fifth. The first two pictures don’t really show anything, but I’m hoping something for tonight’s picture. I just have to wait for John to get home to take it. Maybe I’ll post it tomorrow, if there’s any change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had an awesome time too!!! My favorite was our day together too! I promise those kicks will start really really soon and you are showing for sure!!! :) Can't wait to see you again!