As John mentioned, at my appointment last Thursday, Dr. LaBarre had given me the option of being induced since I was already progressing. I decided that I would go for it, and Dr. LaBarre gave me the first available day open, that Monday. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really surprised to find out I would be having Miller in just four days. Everybody else felt pretty much the same way. When I told John, he just kept repeating Monday over and over again. Monday? Monday. Monday! It was so funny. Since things were so rushed, I didn't really get a chance to post over the weekend, so I'm glad John was able to.
We were supposed to be at the hospital at 4:30 a.m., but they ended up calling us Sunday evening, and asked us to be there at 4:00 because I was scheduled to get the hormone to induce labor by 5:00. I don't know why we even tried, but John and I went to sleep early that night, and pretty much tossed and turned until the alarm went off at 3:00. We were at the hospital by 3:45 or so, all checked in and ready to go. They did an exam, and I was even further dilated, 1.5 cm, and 70 percent effaced. It looks like Miller was planning on being here pretty soon regardless. At least this way, most of the family was able to plan on being there for it. My mom showed up at the hospital by 9:00, and they had already broken my water at that point. Up until then, I was easily able to handle the contractions, but from that point on they got more painful. Dr. LaBarre told me that I shouldn't have an epidural until at least an hour later. I had heard how being induced can lead to longer labor, as well as an epidural slowing down labor, so I was already concerned it would take quite some time. I guess the fact that I had progressed naturally really aided in being induced because, while John was eating lunch, they told me that I was 9 cm, and very close. By 1:00, I was fully progressed. Dr. LaBarre, asked that I wait until 1:30 to push, just to allow Miller to naturally drop a little more. We followed the schedule, and Miller was born at 2:18 pm at 7 pounds 6 ounces and 19 inches long. John was just amazing during all this. He did everything he could to make me feel better, and make sure I was feeling completely comfortable physically, mentally, and any other way he could. In fact, there's not one thing he could have done differently to make it any easier on me. He was wonderful, anticipating everything. I know that he is the main reason it went so smoothly for me.
Miller had so many people waiting anxiously to hear he was born, but he was having a little trouble breathing. Unfortunately, he had to go straight up to the nursery, and I wasn't able to spend time with him as soon as he was born. It upset me a little bit, but the nurses assured me that this was normal with "little white boys." This is something I'd heard before, so it wasn't completely shocking. John was awesome enough to think to ask them if I could hold him for just a few minutes before he went up to the nursery. It was incredibly thoughtful of him to ask because I was not in the mindframe to think to ask myself. The nurse brought him back a few hours later, saying, just as soon as she got him into the elevator his breathing evened out, and he was fine. I happen to think it was being held that brought him around so quickly. :-)
We were able to bring him home yesterday afternoon, and I think we're still in shock. In fact, as I'm writing this, John is holding Miller, and I think he's kissed his head at least 100 times as I've written this. We've got our first doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and, hopefully, he'll still be doing well. With that, here are some pictures from Miller's first few days. They're a little out of order, but you get the picture. :-)
His first picture. The nurse actually had to remind John to go get the camera. Poor little fellow.
This is Miller's introduction to Lexi. She's such a good big sister. She stands on the edge of our bed at night, and looks over at him in the Pack N Play, just to make sure he's doing OK.
This is Miller on the way home from the hospital. We've since rolled up a receiving blanket to put around the inside of the head support, so he doesn't move at all anymore.

3 comments:
Congrats!! He's precious...what a sweet little face. So happy that everything went smoothly for you...hope it continues to go just as smooth at home!
He is just precious Michelle!!! I know you guys are so happy and just in love with this sweet guy. I'm glad he's doing well. Keep us posted!!! Congratulations!!!
Oh how I love these pictures! I'm so glad he's here. He really is just absolutely precious!!!
Post a Comment